Thursday, September 27, 2007

Existential Crisis

We recently finally switched to the Bartow County library and we all are impressed with the facility. N4, our youngest, was very pleased with a book on butterflies. As he learned more and more he seemed to get, well, a little upset. Finally, during a discussion with his mom about toys, he dissolved into tears and ran to his room.

After a few questions I learned that he had cried that he didn't know enough. I joined him in his room and asked him what the problem was. The conversation went like this.

Me: "N4, what's wrong?"

N4: "I don't know anything!"

Me: "Well, you are still very young. As you get older, you will learn more and more. For a kid your age you know quite a bit."

N4: "No, Dad! There is so much to know! How will I ever learn even half of all there is? Dad, no one knows anything, really!"

I really couldn't argue with him. Knowledge is important and can point to God, but - in the end - all of our knowledge is as a match next to the sun.

I just never expected my 4 year old to see it so soon!

No comments: